7.21.2008

PR - 7.21

My grand-dad recently had most of his front teeth pulled out by some obscure dentist and today his brother [my great uncle] came to visit him. My grandfather didn't know he was a dentist in Chicago, and my great Uncle didn't know his teeth were missing. He went home, gathered some supplies, and came right back with a whole bunch of different materials and tools to make dentures. The process took about an hour, and at the time I was editing a picture of my grandfather's mother, Uncle dentist's step mother and my great grandmother. I'm hoping I can find a good print shop and a craft store so I can buy some stuff to frame it.
My mother decided she'd cook out today and called my Aunt Maritza to make some rice and come over and eat. She grilled some chicken in my Grandfather's grill with charcoal, a taste I can only remember from my early years, back when I was about 6; when gas grills became huge. She made potato salad, and boiled some plantains. We ate really well!
I went with my grand dad to meet up with Aunt Maritza's husband, Tito, at my Great Unlcle Dentist's house to talk about a construction job. He wants to extend the rear end of his house by 20 feet. They measured up the dimensions and worked out numbers while I shot some pictures. My grand dad looks good in his glasses. Tito has been out of work for a few weeks and this is a good thing coming to him and his brother. The economy here in Puerto Rico is crap and its rough times for a lot of labor workers.
When we got back I finally opened up my laptop and started typing out these journals, which I had handwritten because of my charger being broken. My Uncle Carlos came into the house, stopped me and asked me to come with him to drop off some of the fish they caught to a friend from work and to drop off the rear differencial from a 50s Ford Bronco to some mechanic. Of course I agreed. When we got to the mechanic's shop, my attention was immediately caught by a Mazda Protege that was lowered and was labeled Mazdaspeed/turbo. You guys know how I love cars. I wandered off when I noticed that right outside of the shop, there was a beautiful view of Yauco and the surrounding mountains at dusk. I took my camera out and shot a nice picture of the view. When I went back into the shop the owner of the shop noticed my interest in the Protege and told me he had something else covered up that he thought I would like. He pulled back the cover to show me an old yellow Datsun restored and drag ready. It was a beautiful sight, until he did the unthinkable; he opened up the hood: SR20DET, custom EVERYTHING; hybrid Garrett turbo, shop designed fuel injectors, etc. adding up to 500hp; it became beast. I ended up having a long conversation with the mechanic about my old Celica and politics, we exchanged knowledge on issues in Puerto Rico and the United States. Pretty good bonding experience with my Uncle as well. We drove back and I conclude my day by writing this journal.






No comments: